Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Terrible/Great Day

What a horrible, rotten day. Or at least it starts out that way. My daughter starts the day complaining she doesn't want to go to school because her body hurts. I understand, really I do. I don't want to get out of bed either. We're just not morning people. I really should try to get up a half an hour or 45 minutes earlier, yes... earlier. Then we could move a little slower; I could sip my coffee and she her hot cocoa slower and we could acclimate ourselves to the idea of being awake. So she gets dressed, grabs her coat, mittens and backpack and is out the door with the neighbor boy and a cup of hot cocoa to go. No, I am not neglecting her - she eats breakfast at the school. She does that in order to be on time to class. If she's in the school eating when the bell rings, she won't be late.

The hubby leaves at about 8:30, the same time I should be leaving but I don't. I wait until about a quarter till nine, when I'm darn good and late, then I head out. On my way, the hubby calls and is chit-chatting me up about everything and then, out of nowhere, he swears. I say, "What?" "The Jimmy just died," he says. "So put a new fuse in it and I'll talk to you later," I say and hang up. We got the the Jimmy fixed a few weeks ago, we thought everything was great - and then a fuse blew. It's the fuse to the fuel pump, the fuse we just replaced, so I had the hubby go out and buy a couple of handful's of them so we wouldn't have to take it to the mechanic again, because honestly, if it's a wiring issue we're just not fixing it. Anyway, the fuses keep blowing this morning and we're forced to make a decision while suffering a time crunch. You see, the hubby is on his way to his calculus class and then he has to go to work. He calls Scott, our mechanic, who says that it's probably not that difficult to find the problem and fix it so he has the Jimmy towed to Scott's shop. Meanwhile, I am at work alone (alone = I'm the only one here to answer the phone) and I've got to pick the hubby up so he can have a car to go to work, back to school and whatnot until I get off work.

I shouldn't worry so much - especially since I'm trying hard not to worry about things - except that I am taking a long lunch tomorrow in order to attend a meeting with Jake and his school counselor at school to discuss his credits and college requirements. I'm already inconveniencing my boss, not that he minds terribly. He did just get both of his daughters off to college - good ones, might I add. So I'm stressing a little about getting off to a bad start this week. It's only Tuesday for heavens sake!

The day ended on a high note. The hubby picks me up and heads over to work where he has a few things to wrap up for the day. I pick up Matt from the High School and call Jake to find out what he's doing. "I'm going to lift (weights) Mom, I feel like I have to." "Oh," I say, "that's too bad because we're going to Dragon Gate for dinner. Too bad you can't make it." I'm surprised I finished my sentence. Jake loves that place. "I don't have to lift tonight. Where are you, I'll be right there," he says. I ask where the girlfriend is and ask if she'd like to join us. We have a great dinner where the girlfriend and I end up making our abs hurt because we are laughing so hard. She has eaten so many donuts that she's vibrating now and she can't stop - I think she is going to crash when she comes down off that sugar high.

My phone rings shortly after we get home. It's Matt's math teacher and she's calling to say that Matt is doing an exceptional job this semester. I can't tell you how good that feels. We have a nice conversation about how smart he is and that he's finally applying himself and how to keep on this track. If this isn't a great way to end the day, I don't know what is.

2 comments:

  1. We never eat Chinese, but I do like chicken and rice.
    The car issues you are having would drive me crazy. I pray my car lasts just a while longer – like August or September! I hate it when a car dies on me and I feel like crying because I am so helpless. You do not sound helpless. In fact, you sound like a real trooper. They are fortunate to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normally I would be a mess, but I'm trying to take it in stride. Stressing out right now wouldn't be in my best interests. But trust me, even six months ago I was crying because my car was undrivable.

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to link to your blog, use the OpenID option.