Monday, January 7, 2008

Frustration

I haven't been feeling well. In July of 2007, I went to the doctor in the afternoon with severe abdominal pain. After examining me, he sent me for some blood work and told me to keep my cell phone close. An hour later he called and told me to go to the emergency room because my white count was high and the ER could get a CAT Scan done quicker than he could. He thought I had appendicitis... well, I didn't. And by the way, doctors and hospitals should warn their patients about the cost of these tests so they don't end up back in the emergency room from the shock of the bill! My CAT Scan was nearly $5,000! I did find out that I had fluid in my abdomen, and apparently it doesn't belong there. The ER doctor suggested that I see my OB/GYN.

Five months later, I've paid a fortune to doctors and hospitals, had a very uncomfortable ultrasound, an endometrial biopsy*, started the NuvaRing in October (even though I had my tubes tied nine years ago), had surgery to permanently burn out the lining of my uterus in November, and I still have sharp pain and cramping, not to mention the constant discharge from surgery. I have headaches related to my cycle that I take a blend of prescription and over-the-counter meds for, and constant lower back and general abdominal pain. Still, I have to wait until I'm six months out from surgery to raise the white flag to say, "I'm done, take my uterus and ovaries." Keep in mind that I've already said that but my doctor said the insurance company would want to see alternative therapies before I took such a radical step.

Apparently, some women don't handle ovulation well - I'm one of them. Between being pregnant, nursing my children, and taking ovulation suppressing hormones, I only ovulated for about four years between the ages of 16 and 26. So, when I had my tubal ligation and didn't interfere with my hormones anymore, I reacted badly.

All that being said, this is one of the issues that I'm trying to think positively about, only it's hard when I'm cramping all of the time. The positive...? I hit my out-of-pocket maximum for an individual on my insurance - thank heavens I have it.


*If you ever have the chance to experience an Endometrial Biopsy - DON'T! (unless you absolutly have to) It's over very quickly, but I found it extremely painful. Besides, if they're going to do surgery, they'll likely take the same samples and do the same tests - but you'll be asleep when they do it!

2 comments:

  1. I have heard from several other people that that particular biopsy is very painful.
    This is a scary situation with you. Simple things can turn bad so quickly. My mom started off with abdominal pain and ended up having Leukemia. Everyone, including her OB/GYN was shocked because he thought it was ovarian cancer. I think six months is a long time to have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All my tests have come back clean. I'm not sick, I'm just reacting badly to my own hormones. The surgery wasn't meant to deal with the pain and cramping, just the excessive bleeding. Now I'm just playing the insurance company's game - give it time to work, then complain.

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to link to your blog, use the OpenID option.