Sunday, January 20, 2008

Lazy Sunday

The hubby likes science fiction books, movies, video games... I like some science fiction. When I was 16 years old someone gave me the first four Amber Chronicles. The first book is called Nine Princes in Amber and after reading the first paragraph, I was hooked. I couldn't put that book down. I read the first four and thirsted for more. I'd introduced the hubby to them shortly after. As I recall, a few years later there was another book released, a few years later another... there were nine books total. The last book was the worst! We both agreed that the final book, well, sucked. Turns out there's a reason. The author, Roger Zelazny, died either before writing it or in the middle of writing it. His children or editor or someone finished the series after his passing using his notes. I don't know why I thought about that today after all these years. I think I might just hunt them down and re-read the series, even the last book.

I like some of the sci-fi stuff that the hubby watches, movies and television. We love Stargate SG-1. A long time ago we watched the episodes on regular cable, then they moved it to the Sci-fi channel on digital cable in our area so, you guessed it, we paid more for digital. Finally that cost was just out of our league and they weren't running consecutive episodes on regular television, so we started getting the seasons on DVD. We met someone who had them all so we either borrowed from them or from the library. We ended up buying season's nine and ten because we couldn't wait, then I went out and bought season one. That's all we have - seasons one, nine and ten. We watched Stargate the motion picture the other day and decided it was time to revisit the television shows but when we went to put in the first season we couldn't find it. It was hiding behind the couch - took me three days to find it. We've watched five or so episodes today while being extremely lazy.

Matt is feeling much better so I think I can safely say that Tamiflu reduces the time that someone with the flu is sick. The rest of us are still healthy and that is very good news. I feel sorry for Matt in more than one way. He felt awful and that's never fun, but he's on a three day weekend from school and he can't do anything. He wants to go out tomorrow but I don't think it would be fair to expose anyone to him, he'll just have to make due with television, the phone and his computer. He wants a Qdoba burrito for breakfast though, maybe I'll go pick it up and treat him. I like to spoil my kids when they are sick.

Jake is ungrounded. He's celebrating by seeing a movie with the girlfriend and the bestfriend. We've seen him more in this last week while he's been grounded than we have in the past three weeks. It's been nice not to have to keep up with his schedule and social life.

Lindsay has a friend that lives several blocks away who wanted to come over for a playdate this weekend but we had to decline, we also decided it wasn't a good idea for her to go to the friend's house to play since they have four kids and it would be horrible for them to all get sick. So she went to the soccer fields with Jake today and flew kites. It was very cold so they didn't stay long. I'm hoping it warms up a little tomorrow so they can try again.

2 comments:

  1. In regards to Christopher being sick, you are right. When they get to be a certain age, they are never home. It almost made me want to pick and find fault with Andrew so he would have to stay home with me. I know, that’s a terrible thought, but I did have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have occasionally demanded a day or evening from him where he actually participates in something family oriented... a movie, dinner, SOMETHING. I think we'll have to make that a regular thing even if it's just one evening a week.

    AND - it's not a terrible thought, we're moms - we love our kids and want to spend some time with them. :)

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to link to your blog, use the OpenID option.