Monday, January 21, 2008

A Day Off For Most

The hubby worked today and Jake was out with the girlfriend (again) so Lindsay, Matt and I were home alone together. I was going to get breakfast burritos from Qdoba for Matt, but by the time we were all up and functioning they weren't serving breakfast anymore. We watched movies for a while and then did some cleaning. Since Matt is sick, he hasn't been doing the dishes - nobody wants that! I've been graced with that chore. Together we got the living room almost sorted out (Lindsay was working on that), the dining room clean, the entry picked up and I got the kitchen done. I have to make sure I get a load of clothes in tonight or I'll be out of luck tomorrow morning when I'm trying to get ready for work.

I'm thinking that wearing a sweatshirt to work might be a good idea since it's -2 degrees now and not supposed to get above 10 tomorrow. It's been pretty cold here the past couple of days - I'm sick of hearing the term 'Arctic Air'. Spring is about two months away but I think by this time next month the temperature won't be falling into the single digits anymore. Nice thought, right?

I talked to a friend last night who lives in San Antonio, Texas. I wish we had their weather, I was jealous. I've wondered if it would be worth it to move somewhere with a warmer winter climate but I love Colorado - besides, if I move I'd be doing it without the hubby since he has no interest in moving away from here.

I made an interesting dinner tonight. We had Spaghetti Carbonara (this isn't the recipe I use but it's close) with shrimp and a Cesare salad. I felt in the mood to keep cooking so I made a new version of rice pudding for the kids to eat for breakfast in the morning. It's made with orzo pasta, seasoned apples, cranberries, cinnamon and french vanilla pudding. Jake wanted to eat it for dessert. He normally doesn't eat breakfast because he's always running late - or he just won't get up on time - so I try to get him to eat something on the go. He hates granola bars because of his braces, doesn't have time for cereal, won't eat oatmeal, I've even tried breakfast burritos... the list goes on but he says he'll eat this. I try to keep styrofoam cups and plastic spoons so that they can eat on the go.

I'm not looking forward to this week because I'm not feeling well - I don't have the flu though. I have a lot of abdominal pain and cramps that I have to report to my doctor. I think I'll be having a visit every month for the next four or five months, I'll report all of my many symptoms, the fact that only the NuvaRing helps, and hopefully get surgery authorized by May or June if they don't subside.

On the flu front, Matt is much better but still very tired - worn out from being sick. He didn't have a fever this morning and he doesn't have body aches, cough, sore throat or any of the symptoms besides being tired but that's to be expected. I've decided to keep him home tomorrow and let him rest for one more day. I'm sure the school administration will agree with me. The rest of us remain healthy, no sign of the disease.

I'm still keeping up with my resolutions. I'm worrying much less and feeling better about it all the time. I have kept up my check register, even balancing it with the bank every couple of days. I'm one of those strange people who would rather cheat in my register so that I show several dollars less than the bank. In my personal accounts that is fine, it's not something however, that I can do at work. I must match to the penny there.

Well, I'm hoping that the week goes smoothly, the books go off to the accountant no later than Friday (even though we're shooting for Wednesday), that mid-month books are easy, and that the temperature rises. I just heard that it's supposed to be in the 40's by Thursday! That would be welcome.

2 comments:

  1. I could never live where it was that cold. I guess if I moved away, I would miss having all four seasons though. My body just doesn't deal well with cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My body doesn't deal well with it either. Dry cracked hands and feet, my hip hurts, my face gets all red and dry... But I do love Colorado.

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to link to your blog, use the OpenID option.