Wednesday, January 16, 2008

It's COLD

It's seven-degrees here, and the temperature keeps falling. The forecast for our area said earlier that the coldest it would get was ten-degrees. They lied. Normally I would worry about our pipes freezing overnight but we've survived colder so far this winter. Underneath our house there is a water line that is exposed to the cold. It has heat tape on it but the plug to the tape fried this summer when we had a water leak. I would have fixed it, but it's an unusual plug that takes fuses and is hard to find. I'd only have to pay a repairman about $100 to fix it, but I've just never had the extra money. Our solution - put a heater under the house that keeps it pretty warm. I went out a few minutes ago and checked it, so far, so good. It's warm under there.

We were supposed to have snow last night through this morning but it never materialized. The temperature was around 20 degrees this morning and kept falling all day. Snow would be an insulator, making it seem warmer outside. The clouds help too, keeping what heat is on the ground there.

I managed to get out of work an hour early today. I started working on 1099 forms and found that my accounting program doesn't print them, I had to get pre-printed forms from the local IRS office. I either had to get them this afternoon or in the morning and gave my boss the choice. He told me to go do it and he'd see me in the morning. I long for the days when I was bored at work because I'm so tired and sore right now. I was on the move constantly today, and it was cold in our building. I have a heater under my desk, but I never sat down long enough to justify turning it on.

I watched The Librarian: Quest for the Spear tonight. I've seen it before and like it. The hubby and the boys are watching Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. I didn't see the first one and I'm not really interested in seeing this one either. It's past Lindsay's bedtime and she's still up - again. Last night wasn't as bad as I'd thought, getting her into bed. This morning though, she had a sore throat, swollen glands in her neck, and was irritable so she stayed home from school. She felt fine this afternoon - go figure. She promised our neighbor's son that she'd go tomorrow, and that she'd be ready on time to walk with him. That hasn't happened since they went back to school! I'll be impressed.

2 comments:

  1. My parents live in a house over 100 years old, so they have to watch their pipes also. When it gets too cold, they don’t do any laundry at all and they leave the sink faucets on a slow drip. This is okay because that kind of cold only lasts a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked under the house last night when the temperature was 14 degrees and it was warm so I'm feeling pretty good about the pipes not freezing. It's 7 degrees right now and falling... Gotta love Colorado

    You are lucky that it doesn't get cold for long there. I've been thinking about whether or not I'd like to live somewhere warmer. :)

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to link to your blog, use the OpenID option.