Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Friends

If you can help, you should - that's my philosophy. It makes me feel good when I can be of help to my friends. Normally it's just support, but occasionally I can offer more. Unfortunately, there are those people that expect help from you once you've lent a hand a time or two. I refuse to have 'users' in my life though. I don't have any at the moment, but I do have a friend or two who's lives are soap operas. It's okay, my life was a soap opera for a while last year. Oh, and when I have more than one class at a time, or when I'm doing the books at work... You know, that kind of thing. Speaking of which, today my boss decided that we weren't going to get the books out until next week. Thank heavens. Oh, and the class thing - my classes require about 15 hours of work a week. Between my job, two classes, the kids, the house, and sleeping - I just don't have time to think.

I have friends who take more work than others. Everybody does though, right? I have a couple of friends who are in real financial trouble right now. One is handling it with grace and resilience even though they may lose their house, the other lives under a cloud all of the time. I know I've been there before, but I handled it somewhere in the middle. I suppose that nearly everyone has been on the verge of financial collapse. It can make or break you but it can also show what you're made of.

Over the last several days I talked with a friend who just takes more work than the others. This relationship is kind of one sided, always about what's going on with them and the stress of their lives and children. I don't manage to say anything except the little listening noises that you make when you are listening but not really engaged in the conversation.

I know this is boring, I just needed to get it out.

Okay, friend change. My friend that headed out for Houston today found out that she isn't going to Holland after all. She's kind of bummed out about it but she's found a positive (good for her). She won't have to sit on a plane for 22 hours there and another 22 back. She also won't be away from her family and next week at work she'll be all by herself and have some downtime. I'm upset for her - how many opportunities will she have to go to Holland... all expenses paid? Well, there's always next year's conference.

My computer decided that it had a date with the floor a few minutes ago. Yes, the floor. I got up and stepped away from my desk, the power cord was wrapped around my foot and next thing I knew, my computer was on the floor. Luckily it tumbled rather than crashed. My book bag broke it's fall - whew! You know, it keeps taking a beating and continues to perform - at it's own pace, of course.

One last thing. A nod to Tami for mentioning my blog on hers. I'm flattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to link to your blog, use the OpenID option.