Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Seriously?

We bought a new refrigerator last November when my old one took a crap. And it didn't really give us much notice, if you don't count that the compressor had been banging when it shut down for like... oh, I don't know, a YEAR? But seeing as how this is the first refrigerator that we actually own and the landlords don't because, well, it's our house, it was our responsibility to fix it or replace it. We just had no idea how they give you warning when their about to say their final goodbye's.

We bought a decent, lower end (but not the lowest) refrigerator from Sears during a decent sale and spent about $400 on it. I have been pretty happy with my new fridge; it keeps the food cold and all, what more do you really want from a refrigerator, right?

I want it to NOT BREAK! For a couple of weeks, busy weeks (that's my excuse for not being smarter), the refrigerator door was hanging a little lower on one side. I didn't know why exactly, but I suspected that the bottom brace on the hinge side was bent and that we'd have to replace it. It's under warranty, right? Yeah, it is. But I thought that fixing it ourselves - eventually - would be easier than calling in the warranty.

Tonight the door FELL OFF in my hand. I freaked out, took all the food in the door and put it on the counter so I could turn it upside down and find out what the hell happened! The pin (or whatever is in the bottom) is either broken in half or it's missing half of it. I found half of it and a washer on the floor but the rest seems to have disappeared. Who knows when it broke or came undone and I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Tomorrow I'll call a Kenmore dealer/repair shop and find out if they know what I need to fix it - and it really should be just putting the part in and putting the the door back on, right?

In the meantime, the door is empty and in place, but when you open it... it just falls off in your hand.

2 comments:

If you would like to link to your blog, use the OpenID option.