Monday, August 18, 2008

A Dog Meme

Tami was tagged for a "Pug Meme" but didn't know enough pug owners... My family had an English Springer Spaniel for just over five years. He's gone now, but we still LOVE Springers.

How did you first learn about English Springer Spaniel's?

A friend of ours was a breeder. She'd had Springers for years and adored them.

What made you get an English Springer Spaniel?

When our breeder friend's dog had puppies, I talked to the hubby about getting one and begged but NO GO. He said we couldn't have a dog where we live and I decided I agreed with him and didn't have another thing to do with those adorable puppies... Until one night we went to their house for dinner and he heard the phrase "bird dog". He was hooked. We decided to buy one of her last puppies, a fifteen week old male that seemed quieter than his brother. (He wasn't)

Most memorable moment with your English Springer Spaniel?

Egad - probably the time we went to the zoo and left him home alone (how dare we). When we got home, we found that he had eaten the back door! I kid you not! He wanted out so he, somehow, ate the corner of the backdoor enough to push it out and escape! Lord, have mercy and give me patience! see below

But we had tons of fun times with him too. We took him to the cabin for Christmas one year and discovered that he'd rather run a mile in four feet of snow than have anything to do with a snow mobile.

We went to Horsetooth Reservoir with him and played all day on the beach. He loved to run and play and sometimes, on his own terms, to get wet. The weirdest damn water dog I've ever met.

We took him to the park a lot. They were family outings and he was family. 'Nuff said.

And every night when the hubby and I would go to bed, Hunter would lay between us while I pet him on the head. When I'd stop (because I was falling asleep or I thought he was) Hunter would turn his big head and look at me, asking me with those beautiful big brown eyes why I would stop, "Don't stop Mom."

What is the most important thing that English Springer Spaniel's have taught you?

I learned more about unconditional love and patience from Hunter than I think I have from any other person in my life. Mostly because he constantly tried my patience, but no matter what, would always love on me and let me know that he loved ever last bit of me... toes, feet, hands, nose - all of it.

Best thing you ever did for your English Springer Spaniel?

Unfortunately, the best thing we ever did for him was to let him go. We found out, after a short illness, that Hunter had lymphoma and it had spread to nearly every part of his body. We put him down the next day after taking two rolls of film - because that would be the day we couldn't find the damn digital camera. (Unfortunately, these pictures are all on my computer at work.)

[IMAGE REMOVED]

Here's a picture of him that the kids took with my cell phone (and the first picture of me on this blog). Maybe I'll load more of them tomorrow.

He really was a beautiful dog and we loved him.

2 comments:

  1. This was very touching to read. Thank you for sharing him and for posting the first picture of yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all love our puppies so much, don't we?

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to link to your blog, use the OpenID option.