Sunday, August 17, 2008

Notes From A Meme

I read a lot of blogs; let's face it, I'm addicted. That means I get to see a lot of meme's. I read their answers and think of my own to the questions, like everyone else, I'm sure.

I've noticed this question several times in the last couple of weeks, "Have you ever saved anyone's life?"

Actually, the answer for me is "yes", but the story isn't amazing. Regardless, I'll tell it.

I woke up to a phone call at 6:30 in the morning. My caller ID told me it was my neighbor and my first thought was, "What the HELL?!"

When I answered, I knew something was wrong. Her speech was slurred and she was confused, saying that she couldn't wake her daughter up. I hung up on her and ran next door. When I approached her front door I could smell the gas; it was thick and heavy.

I opened the storm door and saw my neighbor lying on the floor and her daughter asleep on the couch. They were difficult to get moving but once I got mom up, she dealt with her daughter while I went outside away from the fumes to call 911 on my cell phone.

The paramedics took them to the hospital and the fire department shut down and red tagged their furnace, placed fans throughout the house, and told me that I'd saved both the neighbor's lives.

When they got home from the hospital, the neighbor gushed over me and told everyone she talked to that I'd saved them. I was totally embarrassed, all I did was go to their house and yell a lot!

Funny how a meme can bring up those memories.

I can also say that I
  • made the decision to disconnect someone from life support
  • climbed a mountain
  • had my picture in the paper
  • licked a 9-volt battery
  • thrown up in public
  • suck at math
That's all I've got for now... Has a meme ever reminded you of something in your life that you had forgotten?

2 comments:

  1. You did save their lives. It was a good thing she had your number. Only one of my neighbors has my number.
    I would like to hear about your decision to take someone off life support. I have never been faced with that and I pray that I never am.
    Also, why did you lick a battery? Was this some sort of a dare or is it supposed to do something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The battery licking was the result of a nine year old being convinced by someone older (though not much more intelligent) to do something that would, "only shock you a little bit." My ass.

    I'm sure that some day I'll actually write a post about Michael, his life, the day and a half on life support, and the aftermath. Right now isn't that time - not yet.

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to link to your blog, use the OpenID option.