Friday, July 4, 2008

Our 4th

I have ideas for blog posts all of the time but never seem to be able to get them written down anymore. I'm working on a post about my brothers, though it's only a few sentences so far. I've thought about posting about health frustrations I'm experiencing right now, but thinking about it is draining. So I thought I'd just summarize our holiday.

I was supposed to meet my parents for breakfast this morning at 8am but I hit snooze on my alarm once and then turned it off ten minutes later. I didn't even think about why it was going off the second time, I just wanted it to shut up! An hour and twenty minutes later, my mother called from the restaurant to ask when we'd be there. It was 8:02. I told her we'd be there as soon as we could, but a few minutes later she called back and said that we'd just skip it because they'd been seated for almost 15 minutes. I felt bad; I've never blown off a planned get-together with my parents.

Last night was busy. Lindsay and I had gone to the grocery store at 10 o'clock at night for the ingredients to a salad I made for our picnic today. Jake and Matt were at a computer gaming place and didn't get home until late - almost 12:30 in the morning. I stayed up to make sure they got home okay and then wasn't able to sleep until nearly 2 in the morning. It's no wonder we didn't get up on time. So this morning, with several hours to waste before heading to Greeley at 3:30, Lindsay and I made another trip to the grocery store. This time for the ingredients to a coleslaw recipe I'd found that was simple. I ended up taking a marinated antipasto salad - marinated mushrooms, mozzarella balls, cucumbers, olives, red bell pepper, garlic, etc. - blue cheese coleslaw (sounds weird, tastes pretty good), crackers and cheese, a fruit tray, and brie and french bread. I was really into food prep this morning. I did a load of laundry - which dried on the line in nearly 20 minutes because it was so damn hot here - 100-degrees at 5pm - and got Lindsay packed for her week stay in Greeley with her cousin and the hubby's Aunt.

The picnic was small, only the hubby's grandparents, two aunts, two uncles and my FIL. Because everyone (apparently) thought like I did, there was way too much food. We had a good time, relaxing and talking. There was bug spray involved because the mosquito's were insane. And the girls, Lindsay and her cousin, played and had lots of fun. Jake wasn't able to come because he worked two three-hour shifts today. So at eight o'clock tonight, I gathered everyone up and made them say their good-bye's. On our way back into Fort Collins, we dropped Matt off at a friend's house and he is staying the night. Jake was home when we got back and complaining that he's home with his parents on Friday, the 4th of July. I guess that makes him friendless or boring or something equally insane. The Girlfriend is up in Estes Park with her family, the best friend is camping up in Red Feather (in the mountains) with his family, and all of his other friends had plans that include partying. Jake isn't a big party guy, or at least he isn't yet. I, on the other hand, am okay with that.

So here I sit, at nearly midnight, typing the boring tale of our day... And I think I made one of my friends angry with me tonight - what a smashing day!

2 comments:

  1. Knowing where your kids are is a big relief. It's good he was at home, safe with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lot more exciting than my 4th. We were too pooped to party. Some of the towns around here have fireworks a day early. So the kids crashed on the 4th.

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to link to your blog, use the OpenID option.