Sunday, March 16, 2008

I've Had Better Days

I totally forgot to mention my extremely embarrassing moment at soccer practice last Thursday. Keep in mind that I don't know the moms yet and I've never been very good at first impressions.

The team, who is now known as the Cheetah's (I think that's what Lindsay said), was near the end of practice and the coach had them in a circle talking to them about practicing over spring break. He told them to take their ball outside and kick it around with Mom or Dad or brothers.

One of the other little girls said, "I have three brothers." That's good, that's fine - she's got lots of people to kick her ball with... A thinks this is great too and says, "I have three brothers, but one of them died."

All of the sudden, my head is hung low in my hand and I'm groaning. "Oh, no." The mom standing right next to me says, "What did she say? Did she say her dog died?" Let me tell you, I wish that's what she had said. I should have lied and agreed with her.

Unfortunately, I told the mom what Lindsay had said and explained the comment. I hate to explain. The other person seems obligated to say something lame like, "I'm sorry." What do I say to that? It happened 19 years ago. They didn't know me, they didn't know my son and it wasn't their fault!

Oops, seems like I've gotten a rant going on. Sometimes they just come out like that. Let me tell you what other insensitive things people say that make me crazy...
  • God never gives you more than you can handle.
Really?! You mean, if I'd been a weaker person, this wouldn't have happened to me at 16?
  • What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
I felt as if I should have died. I do not feel as though I'm stronger.

That's enough for now - I don't want to scare people. I'm not a crazy woman but I have a difficult time coping sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't know what to say either. I would probably say, "I'm sorry" and keep it at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tough times come and go
    but family and friends are forever

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to link to your blog, use the OpenID option.