Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Return to Intuitive Eating

Two years ago I was under so much stress that I had begun to lose weight.  Sure, I was under stress, but I was also busy - rarely was I bored or lonely.  I lost about 20 pounds in the two and a half years after Matt left for the Navy.  I started graduate school the week he left, and a year later I started my internship.  These things were full of stress, but they also changed my focus in life and the amount of time I had to myself.  

No longer did I have time to sit on the couch and eat whatever was available while watching some mindless television.  I was busy with homework, classes, cleaning (while I procrastinated about classes and homework), study groups, clients, internship, work...  the list seemed endless.  I hardly had a moment to myself!  When I could find the time to eat, it was protein because I was concerned about my energy level, fruit because it tasted better than candy or junk food and it was cheaper; my lunches were hummus and veggies, cheese and fruit.  My dinners were salads and a protein (strips of steak, tuna, grilled chicken), and I reduced my caffeine intake.  Soda became all but a distant memory.  I indulged when I had a craving - once a month I just HAVE to get a fountain Pepsi - but I hardly ever buy soda now, and when I do it goes flat.

When I started to have time to myself, large chunks of time that weren't devoted to classes/homework/planning for clients/doing something for internship...  I sat on the couch and munched.  When I was bored, I ate.  When I was worried, I ate.  And lets not forget that I quit smoking...  I ate.  I've gained back nearly 18 pounds in about seven months.  It's depressing.

So when I thought I was losing weight because I was stressed, I was just reverting to intuitive eating.  I ate when I was hungry, I learned what the cues were, and I ate just enough to keep me going.  When I wanted "junk food" I ate it, but it was rare and mostly ate fruit, veggies, and lean/healthy proteins because I like them and they made me feel good.  I don't feel so well now, with the relentless heartburn and upset stomach most of the time.  I need to go back to intuitive eating and find other healthy behaviors to turn to when I'm bored, lonely, tired, stressed, or zoning out to the television.

What I still have to figure out is how to get back to intuitive eating without the stress.  I think I'll start with the eating.  I still have one class left, getting my hands on my transcript with my degree, and then beginning the journey toward licensure.  These things will involve some stress, as do some other personal challenges we're going through at home right now, so my best plan of action is to move myself into a healthier state through the things I can control - and I'm starting with eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to link to your blog, use the OpenID option.