Friday, May 23, 2008

The Tornado

Yesterday a tornado blew through Northern Colorado and did serious damage to Windsor, a small bedroom community about seven miles from where I live, as well as to some other smaller communities in the area. The result, while not as severe as seen in some of the southern states, was devastating to residents. Tornado's don't normally come this close to us; I haven't seen one of this magnitude so close to home in more than 25 years.

We have some friends that live in Windsor. Thank heavens they are fine. One of them experienced some damage to their home and at least one of their cars was severely damaged. Neither of the families we know there have power and it could be out for another five or six days. Again, they are fine. My brother-in-law was not so lucky. He was working outdoors in Windsor yesterday when the tornado came and was hit in the head by some debris. We still don't have all of the details yet but he is still in the hospital. We are keeping him, along with my sister-in-law (the hubby's little sister) and their children, in our thoughts.

When the larger tornado was sighted, along with several smaller ones even closer to our home, all of the schools went into lock-down and the students moved to the interior of the building. I kept in touch with my boys via text message for a little while until they were told to turn their phones off but I could not contact my daughter. All of my children go to different schools, and while I know that they were safer there than anywhere else they would have normally been, I was still terrified. At one time, a tornado was sighted not a mile from Jake's high school.

When it was all over, we knew our friends were safe and I knew my children were safe, I drank a glass of wine and fell asleep on the couch at 8 o'clock. I was drained. I had watched several hours of news, saw the pictures, listened to resident's recount the event, and it was just too much, knowing that it was so very close to us.

I am keeping all those affected in my thoughts, please do the same.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I thought CO was one of those states that didn't have tornados too. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone. Mother nature sometimes just amazes me. We maybe advanced but she can whip our butts when she wants to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Northern Colorado does get tornado's, but here in Fort Collins...? We're just not used to them. Normally they are about 15 or 20 miles to the East of us.

    We definitely got out butts whopped!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a terrifying experience.

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to link to your blog, use the OpenID option.