Sunday, June 8, 2008

This Week's Meal Plan

Like I said, planning last weeks' meals was a great idea and helped a lot. This week I shopped for most of our meals at Sam's, with future weeks' meals in mind as well.

Meal Plan for June 9 - 15
  • Monday - Chicken, Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas with sour cream, salsa, avocado, lettuce, tomato and tortilla chips. From Allrecipes.com
  • Tuesday - Spicy Shredded Beef on french hard rolls with potato salad.
  • Wednesday - Chili with sour cream, shredded cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches. This is a family favorite however, I was conned into buying Frito's at the grocery store by my daughter. She hates my chili (and also my Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas) but says she'll eat it if I give her Frito's. Bribery at it's best.
  • Thursday - Spaghetti Casserole from the Dinner Doctor*, p. 241 with french bread and salad.
  • Friday - Schwan's delivery night... a night off cooking. Yea!
  • Saturday - Chicken Divan over rice with salad.
  • Sunday - Breakfast for Dinner. Eggs, biscuits, gravy and fruit.

We don't normally have leftovers or I would make a Leftover Night. Sometimes when someone asks me "What's for dinner?" I say, "Whatever you can find." We called it Fin-Fer night when I was growing up - Fin For Yourself... :)

By the way, everybody who has a Sam's Club membership (or any club discount store) should buy things like shredded cheese there. Hands down, they have the most amazing prices on that kind of thing. I bought 5 lbs (20 CUPS!) of shredded Monterey Jack/Mild Cheddar blend for $13.00! When you split it up into quart size Ziploc bags, it's like six quarts and costs about half of what Safeway charges!

Oh, and I found a new favorite dessert food. Chocolate Angel Food Cake is, well, heavenly. I saw some on the day-old rack as I passed and thought it was worth the $1.00 to try it. YUM! It makes me wish I could bake.

* I bought this book after borrowing it from the library for nearly six months last year. It's truly amazing and everything is pretty easy to make.

4 comments:

  1. OMG, can I please come to your house this week and have dinner?! It all seems so good. I may feel motivated to crack a cookbook. But then again it's been bloody hot and who wants to think about food when the humidity is higher than the temperature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, see - this is why two of my dinners are in the crock pot. I refuse to heat up the house with the oven.

    Thank heavens we don't have the humidity issue here. As a matter of fact, my hands are dry and cracking again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to call the nights when no meal was planned “Every Man for Himself”. We knew we would be eating a sandwich or something like that.

    That IS a great price on cheese. I never thought about dividing it into bags. We divide meats, but dividing cheese never occurred to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I divide the cheese because I freeze most of it and it's harder to use frozen cheese so I keep a bag or two in the fridge and the rest safely tucked away in the deep freeze.

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to link to your blog, use the OpenID option.