Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Lovely Lady Parts

I feel like I'm falling back into the pattern of pain I had before my surgery in November. The good news is that the pain and cramps aren't constant, they give me every other week off. How nice of my body to give me two decent weeks a month! The bad news is that the cramps and pain seem more severe than before surgery, which makes sense to me if I have adenomyosis.

I don't want to bring anyone down, including myself, but I've decided that having ovaries and the resulting hormonal impact on ones uterus twice a month is overrated after your done having children. Yes, there definitely is a bi-weekly problem. Once when I ovulate, another when I'm on my period. I've done research into the various permanent solutions to my problem.
  • oophorectomy without hysterectomy (removal of ovaries without removal of uterus)
  • partial hysterectomy
  • radical hysterectomy

Turns out that my doctors think a radical hysterectomy would be best, "But let's not go there just yet." If I just have my ovaries removed I'll have to go on hormone therapy for a while and the artificial hormones will still cause uterine cramping and pain. The partial hysterectomy makes doctors nervous - if they leave the ovaries and cervix you can still get cancer in those parts. A radical hysterectomy literally empties you out but takes all the potential of cramping and pain out of the equation. Again, there are hormones to take, including testosterone!

Oh, what to do? Well, my doctor would rather I go on the NuvaRing for the next year and then see how I feel. Honestly I felt great on the NuvaRing but here's the thing. I'm thinking that my insurance copay on that drug is $60 a month and the cash price is $49. Hmmmm, kind of pricey, especially when you consider that I don't actually need birth control! Oh, and did I mention that the surgical procedure I had will likely not last longer than five years? I could wait until next year to reevaluate but then I'll have to wait another six months before I'll be able to take the necessary time off work. Or worse, I'll be starting a new job, not have insurance and have to wait another year. There is that other option... do nothing, deal with the pain and take lots of 800mg Ibuprofen and 10mg Vicodin. While functioning every other week on daily doses of Vicodin sounds like fun, I think I'd rather have surgery.

This summer.

While I have a window.

While there are children home to help me out.

While I still have insurance.

Now I just have to convince my doctor. I guess I'd better make an appointment with her.

1 comment:

  1. A $50 a month payment for birth control is a lot I believe. I would simply tell my doctor that I cannot afford that and I want the radical surgery. That way you have no risk of cancer and no risk of these bi-weekly problems ever again.
    It's a big step, but it seems like a step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to link to your blog, use the OpenID option.