Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Bad, The Sad, The Good & The Smelly

The Bad
Jake and Lindsay had bronchitis. It was very bad. Lindsay was so sick that she had to have a nebulizer treatment before they could even hear her lungs. Apparently, she has allergies that brought on asthma that allowed the bronchitis to develop. She's been on five different medications for two weeks. She missed three soccer practices and a whole week of school because she was too sick - and I mean sick - to even be outside.

Jake is still recovering as well. He had a rough football game last Friday night; between the difficulty breathing and the fatigue, he barely made it. But 17 year old boys are determined.

You now know the reason for my extended absence. I've been so stressed out that I could hardly sleep, let alone blog. Oh, and let's not forget that my allergies have created a swollen, snotty, sneezy creature that kind of resembles me. And that's when I take Zyrtec and Benedryl. I LOVE August.

The Sad
Jake and Matt are on the same varsity football team. Matt is on the kick return team and Jake plays tackle on the Offensive Line. They played their rival school in the season home opener and lost. It was a sad game. If they'd had 60 seconds more, they would have tied the game. But football scores don't care if you have 10 more seconds or 10 more minutes - they lost.

Tonight they are playing down in Longmont. Rob is at darts in Longmont and Lindsay and I are staying home. I hope the boys win. I hope Jake feels okay.

The Good
My boss bought me a new computer and I've spent this week transferring files and getting everything running. And I have internet! Not dial-up! A real, honest to Pete, DSL connection on a wireless network! My boss has joined the 21st Century - and he brought me along!

While changing over to a computer with more RAM, a more powerful dual-core processor, and internet access, is great, it's also very stressful. And since my old computer isn't destined for my son's desk (it's going to be a training computer for our field guys), it means that I have to wipe everything company-related from the hard drive. Sounds easy, but I've got to make sure that everything has been moved before I go around deleting everything. Then I'll have to run scan-disk and defrag the whole thing. I'm having nightmares about it all.

The Smelly
Remember the mice that were running across my desk in the night while leaving me their little presents? You see where this is going, right? My boss used poison to rid the office of the fuzzy little rodents and swore to me that they'd run away to find water before they died...

They died where they were getting in - through a hole they'd chewed in the wall under a cabinet. And they didn't make it much farther than that. They began to stink and I smelled it on Tuesday when I went into work. Oh, Geeze did it stink!

It took us a day and a half to find the source of the smell because the hole was under a cabinet that appeared to be mounted tight to the floor but was, in fact, just decorative kick-board.

My boss decided to just seal up the hole and this morning the office was stink-free.

The Now
Whatever, that was cheesy.

So I say to Lindsay, "It's just you and me tonight." She walks over to me, gives me a hug, and says, "I'm gonna go play."

I'm totally feelin' the love.

2 comments:

  1. I’m sorry the kids have been sick. It must have been very bad if Ashley missed so much school right at the beginning of the year. That stinks.
    How great that your boss bought a new computer! He must have felt guilty for putting you through the mice drama. That stink must have been terrible! I’m just glad you found the source. I don’t think I would have thought to remove the kick-board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really sucks that both kids are sick! I was wondering what happened and I was hoping you won the lottery or something! I'm glad they are getting better! Nothing scarier than a sick child.
    Woohoo, 21st century! I have had my fair share of dead smelly mice. It's not a good smell is it? I hope you made the boss clean it up!

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to link to your blog, use the OpenID option.