Sunday, September 7, 2008

Busy, busy, busy...

This weekend has gone so fast. That's always how I feel when I work all day on Friday. When I got off work at 4, I met Rob and Lindsay at Matt's JV game that didn't end until about 5:30. Halfway through the game, Jake's girlfriend came to sit with us and we chatted the rest of the game. I really love that girl. The GF is an amazing girl, but I've probably already said that. Anyway, I waited at the school until 6 for Matt and we made a stop at Super Suppers before coming home. Jake spent the night at a friends house and everyone left at home (but me) was asleep by 7 so I sat and read blogs - big surprise.

Saturday, Matt went with his grandparents and Matt was spending the day with friends so I asked Lindsay if she wanted to (1) wander around town with her Dad and me or (2) stay home and watch movies all day (while the neighbor knew she was home, of course). She opted for staying home. No problem. The hubby and I went out for breakfast, stopped at both local libraries (I was looking for cookbooks, I found five I wanted to spend some time with) and then we went to the museum. Our museum is a tiny little local affair that pays tribute to the original Fort Collins and it's founders. We found ourselves there to peruse the archives. That makes us sound intellectual, right? Not. The hubby wanted to look at the yearbooks from old high schools that no longer exist and I was along for the ride. I do love the old pictures through, and they brought out a landowners map from 1925 that I became obsessed with. I also found some printouts from the little town just north of here that I grew up in. Apparently, they used to have a newspaper called the Wellington Sun. The day was so much fun.

After spending time, just the two of us, doing nothing important... we decided it was time to grocery shop. We stopped at Walmart, Sam's Club and Safeway before making it home. After putting away groceries, I spent the evening reading cookbooks, blogs on kids lunches, and chatting with my neighbor.

This morning was boring. I started the dishes, because SOMEONE (Matt), hadn't done them in four days and I wanted them done. He noticed and finished them. 'Bout Time! I sat and drank my coffee, considering buying Lindsay a new lunchbox she might actually use, and finally got myself moving. Lindsay and I went over her breakfast and lunch calendars for school and decided on two days a week she would carry a lunch with her. I'd like to make sure she's getting some fruit and veggies in her at least a couple lunches a week and packing it for her is a last ditch effort. Also, if I'm making sure there is 'lunch food' in the house, I'll be more likely to remember to take my own lunch to work and not spend $6 a day eating out. So the two of us went out looking for something similar to bento lunchboxes. I had read about the Laptop Lunchbox and there is a store here in town that carries them, but they're a little expensive. We found something that works at Target, but not before we had visited Bed, Bath and Beyond (bought silicone muffin cups), Big Lot's, Savers (on the off chance that there would be some sort of plastic box that would work) and Walgreen's. The Target we bought the box at was the second one we had been to... yep, I bought something I'd already seen at the first place we went, I just had to go to the other one to convince myself that I wouldn't really find anything better. The up side? It was a dollar cheaper at the older Target. Now why is that?

When we got home, I did lunch prep for the coming week, washed the new lunch stuff, and even made hummus. I planned the weeks dinners, two lunches for A, four lunches for me to carry to work (which is really a first for me), cut up fruit, and made the boys some extra food to take to school tomorrow.

I've been awfully domestic today. I'm tired.

3 comments:

  1. We have 2 laptop lunch boxes and I will never buy them again. They are okay quality but a fork or spoon broke within 6 months of normal use. I'm going to look for metal because plastic will break down over time. Sounds like you got a ton done! Congrats. Hopefully your weeks won't be so busy. Did you end up going back to school or no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a little spoon and fork from Target for $1.98. I don't think I'll care if they break within six months - not at that price anyway.

    Ahhh, school. The honest answer is... I have no idea. I'm registered for two classes, but I'm not totally positive I'll take them. It really depends what my fin aid ends up being and apparently I didn't file all the paperwork to correct my enrollment. I'll do that tomorrow and should know by Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so busy in fact that you're going to go a week in between posts... by the way, check out Andres' blog. He's secretly been posting a little again.

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to link to your blog, use the OpenID option.