Monday, April 28, 2014

The Temptation of the Gas Station

While running my daughter to an appointment, I remembered that my fuel light had come on earlier in the day and I had been ignoring it...  and I wasn't going to get too far unless I did something about it.  There was a very convenient gas station on our route so I pulled in and began pumping gas.  While I waited in the bitter cold wind we're getting here in Northern Colorado, I looked up at the tiny station.  For a brief moment, I considered going in and buying a pack of cigarettes.

The thought came out of nowhere.  Did I want a cigarette right then?  No, but I think I bought a pack from here once or twice.  It's been 38 days and I'm having almost no cravings at all.  To be fair, I'm still avoiding situations.  I haven't talked on the phone to the friends who smoke (I will know what they're doing), I haven't even thought of going to the bar with my husband (he plays darts), and I haven't talked to friends on my lunch hour at work.  I'm isolating a little, but I'm also finding out what non-smokers do with their evenings and lunch hours.

I still don't notice any difference in my smell and taste.  Allergy season is kicking into high gear, which might account for the lack of improvement there, as well as the continuous feeling of congestion.  I'm really looking forward to this time next year when the shortness of breath is gone.  I bet allergy season isn't such a bear then!

When the weather improves, Lindsay and I are going to start walking again.  I think the exercise will also improve the way I feel.  For now, I'm less pissy than I have been and am starting to find some benefit to this healthy choice - finally.   I've saved $112 by not smoking 380 cigarettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to link to your blog, use the OpenID option.