Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Drama

If you have girls, chances are good that you experience a lot of drama in your life. This morning Lindsay, my daughter, didn’t want to get out of bed and go to school. She started by whining and moaning, then she whimpered, claimed to be sick, and when her dad got stern with her, she all out cried. That’s when her voice started to sound weak and scratchy – not before. I told her that if she felt bad at school and the nurse let her call to be picked up, her dad could get her and stay home with her. She didn’t like that idea since he’s the one who made her get out of bed. Sometimes it’s hard to be a little girl.

My boys, on the other hand, rarely claim to be ill. Jake, my oldest son, will beg to go to school even when I find him sick on the bathroom floor in the morning. He can be sick as a dog and still claim to be well enough to go. I have had to insist that he stay home and sleep. Jake is very dedicated to football and his girlfriend.

Unlike other school districts around the country, ours does not require a doctor's note to excuse their absence. I like this arrangement since I really don't have the money to take my kids to the doctor every time one of them gets a stomach bug or the 100.1 fever that can send them home from school. I take them for broken bones, separated shoulders, broken tendons in their fingers, faces bloodied by Frisbees that shatter on contact... these are only a few of the visits we've had in the past six months - they were football, PE and recess injuries. Our family doctor has made enough off of us this year to build an addition on his house. We're accident prone. I won't even scare you with what I pay every month for health insurance. But I could buy a new car outright with what I pay every year.

3 comments:

  1. Do you think something could be going on at school and that’s why she doesn’t want to go? Could anyone be picking on her?
    In our school system I believe the student can miss 9 days (not in a row) before a doctor’s note is required. We always get a note anyway. Our co-pay is only $10 for office visits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, Ash is very vocal about what is bugging her and she's a leader, not a follower. She's starting to have insomnia, like me and her brother. She's just been tired.

    A friend of mine lived in Florida and it was mandatory to have a note for missed days. Awful. I believe our school district has a *goal* of less than 9 days per year per student for absences. Unfortunately our co-pay is $25 for office visits now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Bree! I found your blog via Tami and I'm catching up on all your entries. It's kinda nice to find a new blogger who doesn't have three years' worth of posts. ;) Wow, that list of injuries made my toes curl, it really did.

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to link to your blog, use the OpenID option.