Sunday, December 7, 2008

Mother In Law From Hell

My mother-in-law is a piece of work. Oh, yeah. I forgot to say that I have two of them. The one that's giving me fits right now...? We'll call her MIL-1. The one I've mentioned previously will now be MIL-2.

MIL-1 has been out of the picture for several years. We have seen her only four times since Lindsay was born and I was okay with that. The last time we saw her, or spoke to her, was a year and a half ago when I arranged for her to get a ride from Denver to Fort Collins to see Rob graduate. After all, every mother wants to see her son graduate from college, right? Of course she did.

We keep in touch with MIL-1's family and keep tabs on her well-being as best we can, but the family had lost contact with her and no one knew where she was staying or working, no one had a cell phone number for her. The only information we had came from a chance meeting with one of MIL-1's friends who said that she was fine and living with friends.

On Thanksgiving, Jake got a text message from a Denver number saying, "Happy Thanksgiving, Love Mom." He didn't know what to make of it so he gave me his phone, asking who it might be. I said it was probably a wrong number and sent a text message back saying as much. The reply was, "This isn't Rob's phone?" Oh, crap. I called the number and had a one minute conversation with her, enough to find out she was working and living with a friend. She said she'd call me back but I haven't heard anything since, even after several calls and messages.

Today I sent a text message asking her to let us know how she was doing. She responded saying she was fine. I wasn't looking for the easy answer, I want to know her circumstances and sent another text saying as much. Nothing. I called right after that. Nothing.

I've been cursed with two mother-in-laws, neither of them are worth much. Some people might say that I'm blessed. If that's you, you are welcome to them. I'll let both MIL's know they've been traded as soon as you let me know your address so I can send them to you.

1 comment:

  1. That's sort of funny and sad! I was thinking the same thing about my mother. Ever since she's gotten remarried I've seen less and less of her. Also it maybe be since the kids aren't cute babies anymore, she doesn't know how to relate with them!

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to link to your blog, use the OpenID option.