Friday, October 10, 2008

We Live

It has been insanely busy around here since the beginning of school and I just haven't had the time to think about myself until this last week. We've got football, we've got soccer, I've been working more hours, the hubby's got classes, I started a class, and of course the kids are all in school and the homework is astounding.

Rob and I recently had a disagreement with Lindsay's school regarding their mathematics curriculum. We are seriously considering home schooling her in math, nothing else, just her math curriculum. We have parent/teacher conferences next week where we will discuss it, then schedule an appointment with her math teacher and do it all over. In the end, I think it's possible for us to get them to see the light - at least for Lindsay - but only time will tell. If anyone knows of a good home school math program for 4th grade, please comment.

I have finally gotten internet access - real honest to goodness NON-dial-up access - at work, along with a new computer and finally (just this week) a new chair. I like being at work again. YEA!

The boys turned 16 and 18 last month. Jake seems to feel the need to remind us of this on a regular basis. For their birthday we bought them one present... an X-Box 360. They fell in love with us all over again. Matt plays two football games a week - one Varsity (kick return) and one JV (whenever the coach puts him in). Jake is blessed with only the Varsity games (O-line, left tackle). They both are juggling school and sports rather well this year, makes a momma proud.

Jake went on a campus tour of Mesa State College here in Colorado and will go on a tour of the University of Wyoming next month. I think that's probably where he'll end up going. I've been sick with worry (it's what I do best) about him leaving home. I've also been working on getting comfortable with the idea. We've raised an exceptionally grounded young man with lots of ambition and drive. "He will be fine. He will succeed. He will thrive." That's my mantra.

A turns 10 next week. She's so excited to be turning 'two digits'. I've gotten away easy on the party aspect with her the last two years. We have her party at a park adjacent to her elementary school right after school lets out. I meet them at their classrooms, walk them to the park, give the kids an 'after school snack' (read: cheap and easy), let them play, feed them cupcakes, open presents, and then everybody goes home. That's the cheater-mom's party. I'm only responsible for these ten kids for an hour and a half and Lindsay loves it.

I started a class this week, Psychology of Personality. I have a passionate dislike of Freud. I'll leave it at that, but I'm really getting into Jung. The class has been condensed (even more so than a normal 5-week class)! We're only going from 6-8pm because, among other reasons, there are only four of us. I really love small classes. I've got an online class that starts in two and a half weeks but I'm just not worried. As a matter of fact, I'm much more confident in my ability to not only do well in school, but in the fact that I will actually be able to finish my Bachelors Degree. I've discovered I have just enough financial aid available to finish my degree... and then? Then I've decided to apply to the Masters of Counseling Psychology program at CSU. I have no idea whether or not I'll be accepted, but I have to try.

All in all, the last month has given me a run for my sanity. When football and soccer season end, I should finally be able to lean back and relax a little.

4 comments:

  1. Hooray!
    I loved Theories of Personality. Freud was a douchebag-- and if you're lucky, you'll get to learn about one of his followers... some lady, I don't recall her name, but she was obsessed with breasts. Just remember: Freud was a coke-addict. And he was in love with his mother. Hence his theory. Alas, he's the Father of Psychology, so I s'pose we shouldn't hold it all against him.

    Alder, Karen Alder was her name. She was totally wacky, too.
    I really liked Jung myself. And when you get to Skinner et al, he's where I really started to GET it.

    Much luck and energetic energy your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you could home school your child in a certain subject if they attended public school for all other subjects. I don't understand how this works, but you have apparently heard of it happening before or you wouldn't be willing to try it. I wonder if other parents are having problems with the teaching methods in math. Some children need tutoring. Math is not an easy subject that's for sure. I hope your meeting goes the way you need it to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, glad things are going well and that you will be able to get your degree! I think 4th grade math is easy but I think different states have different criteria. I know this year in 5th grade, I'm lost with what they are learning! I'm surprised you don't have a special subject teacher to help with your daughter's math problem. Our daughter technically doesn't need the help any more but since she did at 1st they still like to check on her and make sure she isn't falling behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Ash - thanks for the support regarding the (gag) notorious Freud. I appreciate the thoughts too. The woman you reference, is that maybe Margaret Mahler?

    Tami - I've heard of other parents forcing the district to allow them to homeschool their kids in a subject based on 'lacking curriculum' or differences in beliefs. We'll see what they are willing to do.

    Dawn - Thanks, I'm tickled to be able to finish. I outlined our problem with math in another post, she doesn't need help with basic math, just the way they are teaching it. :(

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to link to your blog, use the OpenID option.